Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jet Lag but worth it

We left Colorado on Sunday to arrive in Cambodia on Monday. It is 6:21pm out here which means its about 5:30 out in Colorado. The plane ride was good, although they served some weird food on the flights. Yesterday when we arrived everyone could barley sleep. We woke up today to go to orientation at 8am, where we learned some basic Khemr words (Cambodian Language). After we finished we were able to go to the Russian Market which was an experience in itself . I had fried noodles, with dried shrimp flakes, crushed peanuts, mint and some other kind of leaf on it. It was surprisingly delicious. After lunch we were able to go to the orphanage for 2 hours. The children welcomed us with big monkey arms. They were all so precious and tiny. The orphanage has a pig farm a few blocks down, which we later walked to. On my walk to the pig farm I met one of the orphans named Hen, he is a 13 year old boy, but only about 3/4 of my size. He was surprised to hear I was his age, he told me I looked about 20. That was a first for me, considering I am pretty small back at home. He told me his story briefly as it was difficult to communicate with him. He told me he had been at the orphanage for 3 years, he was dropped off by his mother who no longer wanted him, she could no longer support him or handle him. This almost brought me to tears. She dropped him off without a goodbye hug or saying goodbye. He has not heard or seen from her since. He seemed like he just needed love and someone who needed someone who wasn't temporary in his life. There is a young girl, whose name is Dina. She is very shy, and barley ever smiles. She didn't want to socialize with me, she is the same age as my younger brother Luca. She is so small probably only half the size of Luca, which surprises me. Only about half of the children were at the orphanage, the rest were at school. It has been a busy 3 days already. The time change has been a bit difficult but, arriving at the orphanage today made it all worth while. Today was surprisingly not too hot out, according to Lisa Marie it is going to get a ton hotter. Although I was sweating profusely, It still was not too hot out. But this is only the beginning to my story, there will be more in the next few days. I am so excited to go help out tomorrow at the orphanage. The children were so grateful from the start.

Chom Reap Lea (Good  Bye),
Nina Ferzacca (6:42PM Cambodian Time)

Remember to always Love, Believe and Dream. Help the people around you and change lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment